Living Dangerously- Safe, Stable but Sorry?

I often find myself putting a lot of thought to things. I find many others on the same boat, swept in the current of thoughts, hesitating to pick up the oars. I want to steer my own life and do not wish it to go where it will. I will allow the current to save me some energy but I will direct the general direction I'm headed towards. I wish to live for the sake of living. I wish to observe and experiment and learn. I wish to live dangerously.

By living dangerously I do not mean a reckless life. Nor do I have swashbuckling adventures in mind, although they would not be unwelcome. I mean that being overcautious is wearing my mind. It is as if I walk the thin line between thinking and overthinking. It heats my brain and drives me to the edge of a most despicable emotion- anxiety. Impulsiveness is frowned upon by many. Patience has mostly been glorified.  But an impulsiveness short of rashness may open doors where there were only walls. This kind of impulse is like a nudge from an encouraging friend, asking you to trust yourself and go ahead. Learning anything is dangerous. There is always a danger of making a complete fool of yourselves. Learning to cook might be dangerous! Learning to recite a poem to an audience might be dangerous too! Learning to cliff-dive or perform stunts is super-dangerous and proceeding with caution is understandable. But if you are bind yourself with your apprehensions and never even start then you will never learn. You will be safe, but sorry.
 

 Life is long. But when people look back on the lives they have lived, they mostly feel it has been too short. At that time they fuss over lost opportunities, unlived dreams, untreaded pathways. Some accept their fate, but if they were given another shot at life, they would not think twice before doing some things that they were too paralyzed by thought to do before. I do not wish to be the one looking back at life in that way. I'll probably reserve my caution for the sunset years of my life. The young must be spirited and active.

If there is anything in your mind that you wish to do. Go ahead. Do it. The only actions where you need to play safe is where you risk grievous or irreparable physical and emotional damage to yourselves or to others. Other than that, do not withdraw. If the seed withdrew, there would not be a tree. If the flower withdrew, would there be a fruit? Life is already a fatal accident. Least we could do is to make it fun. Do not be worried of failure. Do not be worried of loss. What do humans have to lose anyway? What did we bring with ourselves, what will we take? There have been people who broke up unsuccessful relationships at sixty and found new love. There have been ex-cons who set up pastry shops after release. People switch careers at the wildest of ages. There is nothing to lose if you only lose your anxieties and insecurities. Dream, live it. Live dangerously.




Comments

Popular Posts