Letting the Sun in your Soul

I opened the door to let the morning sun in, and a great gust of wind, like an uninvited guest, forced its way in. It brought with itself pigeon feathers, dust and some plastic shreds inside. I wasn't annoyed. The tiled floor, littered with empty packets, unwanted receipts, biscuit crumbs, fallen hair (*silent cries of my breaking-heart*, can relate?) and dust hitched in with incoming shoes, was loudly begging to be cleaned. Equipped with a broom and a Maroon 5 playlist, I prepared myself for the inevitable battle with filth. 



I had had some unsettling dreams the previous night and was feeling low on energy, and vulnerable to the sabre-toothed anxieties of life. But as I started working I felt my trepidation recede like a dropping tide. Glinting off from the tiles I had cleaned, the sun filled my room with warm yellow delight. It made my heart feel blaze-up with rejuvenated energy. I did not stop with the floor- I did the dishes, put my things in order, and put out the blankets to bask in the sun! I cooked myself scrambled eggs and chapatis afterwards. (I really don't believe myself sometimes!)  



To sum it up- Sometimes when you're down, anxious or over-thinking, just try listen to some music and do some chores. Get off the bed, make it neat, clean your room and indulge in self-care- oil your hair, clip your nails, get some sun, cook something nice for ya, go out probably. Not only does that take away your obsessive or gloomy thoughts, they actually leave you in a better state, emotionally as well as physically. So don't roll up in bed if it doesn't help to do so... The only person who best knows how to take care of you, is (at least it should be) you-

"The only end to your torment is the surgeon's blade,
But a cruel instrument as that isn't in my possession
It is not in the possession of anything that lives-
Yea, although, except you, except you, except you..."

(Faiz Ahmad Faiz, Tr. from Urdu, 'Mere Humdum Mere Dost')



Comments

Popular Posts